For vehicles which are not registered under IRP or IFTA, additional permits are required before entering another jurisdiction. Vehicles exceeding limitations on the size and weight also need to obtain a permit.

Trip Permits

The trip permit is a temporary permit issued for properly registered vehicles without IRP credentials. To operate in a location which is not registered under IRP, a trip permit must be obtained before entering Michigan.

Fuel Permits

A temporary fuel permit is needed to operate in a location for which the carriers do not hold an IFTA decal and license. Carriers must secure a temporary fuel permit prior to entering Michigan for which they are not properly permitted.

Oversize and Overweight Permits

A permit for authorizing movement of vehicle with oversize and overweight.